Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Battery Analysis

Electric vehicles are really 90% about batteries, everything else is just what it takes to move them, hold them, heat them, cool them, charge them and draw current from them without catching fire.



I have a spreadsheet that I developed over the years to help me decide which battery to purchase and how to arrange them to achieve my mission.  The spreadsheet takes as input the mission profile.  It has the motor power and volts, it also requires you to input three phases of flight, TakeOff, Climb and Cruise (descent and landings are ignored in this simplified model).  

Then I scoured the internet looking for battery options, there are so many types with different discharge rates, weights, configurations, etc.  So I created a sheet where you provide all the basic specifications for a cell or battery and it would attempt to multiply it in series and parallel to match the mission requirements.

From this, the analysis I was able to determine the most appropriate battery for my application.  I can tweak the mission to make the battery configuration match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slow going

This project has been a slow burner.  Mostly because I'm eating in the FAA to get my registration transferred.  But I'm ...